Between what was happening with JW, and
the things with my family, and my own personal struggles with abuse,
I was NOT well emotionally. Nothing proved that more than the many
times I would dissociate. Things were up and down. My niece was born
in April 1997, and my Grandma died that Autumn. My family would not
welcome me at their home, so I did not welcome them at mine. I had
never seen my family so at odds. Mostly because I was trying, quite
unsuccessfully, to set boundaries with everybody and nobody would
accept them. And they all wanted me to 'move home' not accepting the
fact that I 'was home' now that I was living on my own.
In the midst of the chaos, dissociation
was frequent, and I wound up dissociating in stores and walking out
of them with unpaid merchandise which caused me to be arrested. I
don't remember much of the arrest until I was in the security office.
I did everything they told me to and was very cooperative.
The court system was unique. I felt
like a lost child in it. I went through the mental health court
diversion program, having people walk me through what I needed to do,
what I needed to say and so on. I was fortunate. So long as I
continued to see my psychiatrist, I would be good. And once he changed
some medication and that seemed to help.
At the same time this was happening, I volunteered at a mission downtown. One of the attendees there had threatened to kill me because I refused to play cards with him. Plus he called me every white racist name in the book. I had witnesses to this so he spent 3 months in jail.
But rather than the mission abide by the law and keep him out of the mission and allow me in, they kept me out and allowed him in. The mission was infamous for these kinds of warped decisions.
I had made arrangements with a good
friend that if I wanted to go out, I asked him to go out with me.
That way there would be no temptation to take anything, and if I did dissociate,
someone would be with me. It was a good move, because dissociation never
happened when I had people around me to talk with. I wasn't afraid
because I wasn't alone. SR was and remains a wonderful friend.
I
was very glad when 1997 and 1998 came to a close.
"This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."
No comments:
Post a Comment